Any idea on why side planks improve internal hip rotation temporarily?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by grandthrowawayparade, Sep 9, 2017.

1. grandthrowawayparade

Already asked my physio about this, he had no idea.

I've had piriformis issues and since they started, the hip on the right side (the same side as piriformis issues) has had very little internal rotation - maybe 5 degrees. This makes sense to me - the piriformis is contracted and tight (hence the pain), and it's an external rotator while hips are in neutral, so if it's tight and contracted it would limit my range of motion for internal rotation.

But after I do short side planks on my right side (attempting perfect form and contracting glutes/abs hard while doing it) and breath into my diaphragm, suddenly my internal rotation on my right side is just as good as on my life side (40-45 degrees). So it seems like perhaps side planks somehow temporarily release the tightness/contraction in my piriformis?

I feel like if I can figure out why this happens it might help me finally (more permanently) relax the piriformis so it can heal, but my physio is at a loss. I do lots of exercise that require my glutes to contract and none of them have this effect.

I figured since it improved my hip flexibility you folks here might have some experience with this or ideas as to why it might happen. Any thoughts?

2. pacmann117

pacmann117 New Member

Dean Sommerset has a killer demonstration of this on YouTube where he discusses why as well. I'm too lazy to find it for you...

3. BritLeFay

BritLeFay New Member

> I do lots of exercise that require my glutes to contract and none of them have this effect.

the hips are incredibly complex with [many different muscles](https://cdn.gmb.io/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Hip-Muscles.jpg) and different ones will activate for specific movements. it could be that you don't use your piriformis in any of your other exercises. the side planks are temporarily releasing the tension for likely similar reasons as why PNF stretching works--the muscle is a bit tired and so has a harder time resisting the stretch.

4. SearMe

SearMe New Member

Is it different when you do side planks on the other side with same form?

5. Mellor88

Mellor88 New Member

I'd imagine there's a certain amount of exhaustion allowing the piniformus to relax. I have a similar issue with my TFL. When I really needed work it hard my external rotation increases.

6. Common_Carson

Common_Carson New Member

Your piriformis is attached to both sides of your SIJ. Your internal rot is shit before you do side planks because your SIJ isn't stable; thus, making piri work harder to stabilise the joint line. When you do side planks, you increase your pelvic stability, which in turn, stabilises your SIJ; which in turn allows your piriformis to not work as hard (to stabilise across that joint line), allowing more int rot. This doesn't take into account spinal priority or vertebral stacking. Which could also play a large role.
    Source: I'm a drunk physiotherapist

7. one2one2v2

one2one2v2 New Member

Do you dead lift?