Asian squat - please help?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by elojise, Jul 12, 2017.

1. elojise

elojise New Member

Hi! So I've been trying to get into the Asian squat for a while now. I can technically sit there with the right shoes, but it's uncomfortable and I have to strain other muscles to balance (like my back, or I have to lean my head and arms all the way forward, etc).
    I've so many different tips online, but none of them seem to work for me. My main problem is my ankles; having too little dorsiflexion when I try to sit in a squat. If I push too hard/ for too long, the front, slightly outside area of my ankles starts to hurt. I was thinking I might have some soft tissue there, that gets inflamed under too much stress? I don't know though, that is just a guess.
    Also, if I turn out my feet a lot in the squat, I can do somewhat better, but it's very uncomfortable for my feet. It feels like my feet are too bony, as my weight and pressure goes to the inside of my feet: the thumb and the bones underneath, as well as the inside part of my heel bone. If I try to stretch the calf muscles (with my knees bent), I do not feel any stretch in my calf. Again, if I push too hard, I feel pressure on the front/slightly outside area of my ankle. Next, if I sit into the Asian squat quickly, I automatically fall backwards. I'm at my wits' end. Do you have the same problem? Do you have any tips?
    Looking forward to reading your answers. :)

2. shorttim

shorttim New Member

For me, it was about getting more flexibility in the hips, especially my groin. As an American, sitting in chairs has really tightened that part of my body up. But, stretching it allowed me to shift my center of gravity to a more stable place.

At first I thought it was my ankles, calves as well. It definitely helped to stretch them, but I didn't have a breakthrough that until I focused on my hips.

3. Kurai_Okami

Kurai_Okami New Member

I'm asian, so I don't really get the flexibility problems or whatnot that you may have, but I can help with some observations.

I think the hip flexors and lower back should be flexible enough so that your knees can touch your arm pits when you squat and have your arms in front of you. It should feel like you can rest your ribs on your thighs. For me, it feels like my upper body is just slouching onto my thighs.
    As for the pains in your feet, I am guessing you are leaning too far back or forward, or you are placing your feet parallel to each other' which is quite unnatural. For me, your feet should be pointing in the same direction as your leg when it is relaxed while in the squat ( if that makes any coherent sense). Or in other words, when you are standing normal, you don't move your feet placement: you just go down. As for the falling back, think of it as just resting your body forward onto your thighs.

Sorry if it sounded like a ramble; it's not everyday you get asked to explain squatting like an asian ( plus, it's my only area of expertise besides pulling the race card whenever I'm caught in class sleeping jk jk)

4. neutronboy

neutronboy New Member

I can't help with the ankle pain issue, only a doctor or professional trainer should comment on that.

As far the balancing problem: I use a Russian Kettle Bell to help my balance whenever I am tight. Just put it in front of you on the ground and hold onto to the handle as you squat.

Also, doing a stretch has to be every day if improvements are desired. Guess thats kind of obvious but its got to be said.

5. tykato

tykato New Member