Back pain when stretching

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by missgoodgolly, Oct 11, 2018.

1. missgoodgolly

missgoodgolly New Member

I’ve been trying to stretch more as I up my running mileage (thanks to whoever posted about yoga with adrienne!!) and whenever i try to drop my head down in a pose i get this pain in my back (center and right of my spine). i am not flexible at all just fyi.

for example, this morning i was doing my best attempt at a wide legged forward fold and when i tried to drop head i get that pain. i also avoid doing stretches where both my legs are straight out in front and i’m bending forward because of this.

does anyone know how i could alleviate this?

2. master1924

master1924 New Member

The unconscious head dropping is likely creating compression in your spine. It's your body's way of saying, do this differently.

3. EloyFalcon

EloyFalcon New Member

Neck pain is very common these days. We spend a lot of time watching screens, driving, sleeping in bad postures. For me some traps streches work fine but a visit to the pt once in a while worths too.

Don't push your head when doing forward folds, you should push your chest. And if you have to round your back pretty soon better don't do it, keep it straight and stick your butt out, you will feel very good stretch that way wthout compromising your back.

4. 2fuknbusyorviceversa

If your hamstrings when working together are stronger than your back. The answer is to stretch your hamstrings separately.

5. Rollo_Mayhem3

Rollo_Mayhem3 New Member

You are tight all around it sounds. So when you drop your neck, it pulls on everything. You'll need to go back to basics and start slow. my guess is tight hamstrings and hip flexors. As someone said, you'll have to work around that stretch for a while, you want to avoid pain. You have to work at it each day, maybe twice a day...