Can't even sit cross legged without a bit of pain - help

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by MinuteLeopard, Feb 12, 2019 at 4:00 AM.

1. MinuteLeopard

MinuteLeopard New Member

I am inflexible. So inflexible. So much so that a gym I used to be a member of wouldn't let me do weights until I did weeks of foam rolling. I never realised how stiff I am but try to do beginners YouTube yoga most days to start to sort this out now I'm in my mid 30s and didn't even know this was so bad! Eventually I plan to join classes when I feel more malleable!

Any ideas REALLY where to start even with getting to sit cross legged? Thank you!

2. Magfaeridon

Magfaeridon New Member

Sitting on the floor is the only way. Use cushions and change positions as frequently as you need to, but keep sitting on the floor.

3. DowntownOrenge

DowntownOrenge New Member

Do you drink coffee or alcohol, and/or smoke? Have a stressful lifestyle?
    Even if you don't, I highly recommend looking into magnesium supplementation. Its deficiency is very common (and won't show up on blood tests until very severe) and can cause muscle stiffness and pain, in addition to anxiety, panis attacks, insomnia and depression. I see a huge difference in my muscles when I take 400-600 mg of magnesium daily. You can buy huge containers of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and add some to your bath, as magnesium absorbs through the skin.

4. youngmoneyoutlaw

youngmoneyoutlaw New Member

My boyfriend is stiff too. He cant sit cross legged. Or bend down normally. Even his toes don’t stretch if that makes sense. I find it really weird.

5. Kunphen

Kunphen New Member

Gentle yoga class, or yoga for elders. Start slowly. You'll improve with time. That said, there's a lot of people teaching who shouldn't be. Keep going until you find someone you like.

6. tingsha_bells

tingsha_bells New Member

sit on a blanket or bolster for more space in the lower back, therefore giving you more room for your hips. But you want to be sort of falling off the blanket or a bolster for more space.

7. DocGrover

DocGrover New Member

Download bodyweight fitness and do the stretches there and that will help a ton with getting some starting flexibility.

8. xS3k3l3t0nx

xS3k3l3t0nx New Member

Do have any bone structure problems? I had trouble sitting cross-legend and it was due to my femur being rotated inward. Once I had surgery to fix that and my legs were straight, I was able to sit cross legged.

Hopefully you don’t have anything that requires surgery, but it could be worth checking?

9. xS3k3l3t0nx

xS3k3l3t0nx New Member

An orthopedic surgeon should be able to tell you.

I had severe knee pain and had xrays done with an orthopedic surgeon. She told me that the femur was twisted which was limiting my mobility and causing my knee to turn in. Now that my leg is straight, I’m more flexible and I don’t have joint pain anymore.

If your ankle is causing you trouble, it could be something higher up. My feet turned in, but that was also because of the femur.

It might be worth having xrays taken to make sure your skeletal structure isn’t the culprit.