Concerns about training for Pancake

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by 0rigin85, Oct 7, 2018.

1. 0rigin85

0rigin85 New Member

I've attempted to train for a pancake off and on for a while now, but I've never been very motivated because I don't seem to feel anything when doing the exercises. So in contrast, about a year ago I started training my pike and went from being inches from the ground to being almost able to put my palms on the floor. When training my pike, I could feel the stretches. I could feel the discomfort (burn, whatever) which eventually gave way to more range.

​

When doing any pancake training stretches I feel nothing. I just feel like I'm at the end of a range and even if I attempt to pull myself further, I just don't go further and feel nothing. For example, I was just trying these out: [

​

I felt basically nothing doing the abductor stretches. When sitting when my legs spread I can barely sit upright but when I pull myself forward I barely move and feel nothing. It truly feels like I'm just at the end of my physical range.

​

So I'm wondering if this is normal and I should just buckle down and do the exercises anyway and it'll eventually start feeling more like a normal stretch, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong or need to be training something else first.

2. weesnawsnaw

weesnawsnaw New Member

I know how you feel I felt that same way. From what you're saying it seems your adductors are super tight. Training middle splits is a great way to open adductors because u have the weight of your upper body plus gravity constantly pushing you further into the stretch.

For pancake, grab a strap and wrap it around something. Hold onto the strap and pull yourself into anterior pelvic tilt. From there use the strap to pull l, aiming to get your belly button to the floor. You might only move 1 inch, but you will definitely feel the stretch.

3. elementsofabsurdity

elementsofabsurdity New Member

I forget her name but there's a yoga teacher who talks about "body blind spots". Areas of reduced muscular activity, and reduced feeling. Might be worth it for you to look into her stuff, and use it to teach your brain to activate and feel your leg muscles. I used her to learn to reactivate my abs after abdominal surgery, which cut through some major muscles and totally turned them off for about a year.

4. EloyFalcon

EloyFalcon New Member

During pancake you are doing a hip flexion with legs abducted, so the muscles that are stretched are just the opposite: hip extensors and adductors. The closer the legs are, the harder your extensors will be stretched, that's why we tend to go for the pancake split instead of a narrower abduction, because when you are in a full split the extension of the hip comes effortlessly.

The narrow pancake is mostly trained for skills like press handstand, where you need to compress your body with legs opened just enough to put your arms between with shoulder width appart.

To push yourself deeper the main muscles that do the action are the hip flexors because that's what you are doing, flexing your hips, but take in mind that lumbar muscles assist a lot in large active movements. Putting your arms behind you help in pushing your chest forward but at certain point you will need to grab anything else, maybe your feet, or have someone push you very softly and slowly. Going back and forth with your own muscles in a range of motion that you can take is a good way to increase the strength of your muscles, if you are brave enough you can try it pulling a resistance band.