External rotator stretch - what am I supposed to be feeling?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by superpopcone, Feb 12, 2019 at 9:49 AM.

1. superpopcone

superpopcone New Member

Hey folks, I've been following along with this [Molding Mobility]() and [Starting Stretching]() video for a year on/off. There's one stretch in particular I don't understand - the external rotator stretch [4 minutes into the video.]() ([Additional video]()).

​

What am I supposed to be feeling when doing this? How do I do this stretch right?

​

Additional side questions:
    1. backbend progression in Starting Stretching - I'm supposed to feel muscle fatigue doing these right? As in "wow this is hard to hold up".
    2. any simple/general recommendations on routines or stretches that you think are vital to add in or remove.

2. Paiagrown

Paiagrown New Member

It helps with tight hips by making your joints rotate in the hip capsule.

A really good alternative that I do alot (it also doubles as one of the best hamstring stretches for me) is where you put your legs on the wall with your back on the ground. You want to scoot your butt as close to wall as possible. Make sure your back is flat and there isn't an arch. Then with your legs straight up, make your toes point straight forward and bottom of your soles flat and even. Then slowly point your toes down towards you. You'll feel a really deep stretch in your legs. While holding this, rotate your toes so they point away from each than to each other as much as you can. Do this 10 times, then make widen your legs so it makes a V and repeat, then once more with an even wider V. Make sure your soles of feet are flat like how they would be if you were on the ground.

http://www.peakfitnessnw.com/flexibility/5-favorite-wall-stretches

The first two images are what I'm talking about for the setup. If pointing your toes down is too hard, you can just try to keep it pointed straight.

3. jukusmaximus13

jukusmaximus13 New Member

Back bend fan here. Yes kind of, it should feel as if you’re learning to use your back muscles to support your spine in that position. A good indicator is post workout soreness - it should feel like you did regular back exercises at the gym; soreness in the muscles and NEVER the joints. Also engage abs when doing back bends.