Genetics reasons to non-flexibility?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by soderguy11854, Sep 9, 2017.

1. soderguy11854

soderguy11854 New Member

Hi guys,

Let's me tell you my story. I have never had any flexibility since I am child.

It causes me a lot of issue like:
    - painful & stiff muscles
    - non-restorative sleep (back pain during the night)

Obviously I solve these problems by daily stretching, yoga classes, etc. but it doesn't help me really in term of flexibility itself. I feel that I have gain flexibility when I do the exercise itself, but the next morning day I am back to my initial flexibility level.

So my questions are:
    1) What scientifically explain that some people are more flexible than others?
    2) What should I investigate to try to compensate this natural lack of flexibility except daily stretching ? Collagen complements?

Thanks for your help,
    Sodraguy

2. BritLeFay

BritLeFay New Member

so, I'll start with the good news. while genetics can contribute to being hypermobile/double jointed, there is no genetic reason to be inflexible, short of a connective tissue disorder, and if you had one, you'd probably know about it by now. so you can make progress!

the fact that you make clear progress during each individual stretching session is also good news. the fact that you immediately tighten back up suggests that you are not properly using your muscles, especially postural muscles while sitting and standing. this causes some muscles to be overworked because they're picking up the slack from other muscles, and these overworked ones are going to tighten up again the moment you slip back into bad posture. if you can't identify the source of your muscle imbalances yourself, consider going to a physical therapist who will be able to assess your posture and movement.

to start gaining more flexibility, strengthen the weak/underactive muscles and stretch the tight ones for a couple minutes several times throughout the day. don't get discouraged if you don't seem to make any progress for a few weeks--you've spent years and years reinforcing your current movement/posture habits, so it's gonna take some time to learn new habits.

as to why some people are more flexible than others, I think even those who research the topic are kinda ¯\\\_(ツ)_/¯. the seemingly natural flexibility comes in part from how active you are throughout the day and how much variety of movements your activity consists of. this is one reason children are typically more flexible than adults, since we typically sit around on our asses all day. but that only explains some of it.

concerning the ability to quickly gain flexibility, regardless of starting point, some of it is due to muscle strength. supposedly, weak muscles are resistant to stretching, although that is counter to what many of us seem to see in novice stretchers. stronger muscles are supposed to feel secure moving into new ranges of motion, ie getting more flexible. but perhaps a bigger factor determining how easily you can gain flexibility is what I mentioned in the first paragraph--your muscles need to all be working properly so that nothing is too overworked.

3. one2one2v2

one2one2v2 New Member