Has anyone here dealt with weak/sore knees in deep stretches?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by Yeayeayeanahnahnah, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Yeayeayeanahnahnah

Yeayeayeanahnahnah New Member

My forward and backward range of motion is excellent at the moment and no cause of concern. However, in middle splits and other variations of stretches, my knees feel extremely weak to the point of discomfort and it's causing me to be unable to get deeper into the stretch. I've always assumed to this point it's because of my inflexibility in the groin placing strain on the ligaments in my knees. However, if I bend my knees slightly during middle splits I can get a lot deeper into the stretch- which means my knees aren't holding me back. How can I correct this? Is it something worth seeing a professional over? (If its relevant my Father has very weak knees as well so it could be genetic)

2. captainberta

captainberta New Member

Yes. It's easier for your knees to take the stretch if your hips are tight. Work on strengthening your glute med and your quads. When you are doing the middle splits your quads should be contracted to protect your knees and your glutes to externally rotate your hips. This will help protect your knees.