How do you ease your hyper-mobility pain?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by maceykaye, Oct 8, 2018.

1. maceykaye

maceykaye New Member

(I’m really sorry for the length of this and I’m also going to put this in r/fitness because I’m not really sure which sub it’s better suited for, so I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place.)

For a bit of background- 4 months ago, I started going to the gym to try and lose weight because I am overweight (109 kgs and 5’3”) and like most people starting out, I came across a few problems. The first being pain in my feet whenever I did certain things. I have been to a podiatrist and it turns out I have flat feet, so I now have orthotics and have certain exercises to help this. I was told to expect some discomfort in my feet, knees and hips whilst my body realigns and adjusts over the coming months, which is fine.

I am naturally flexible- like, crazy flexible. I never realised how unusual this was until I was stretching with my trainer one day and he said he had never seen someone do what I can do naturally. I have always been able to do the full splits- side and middle, and I hardly feel any pull whilst I do things like this. I am trying to work on this so that when I’m fitter, I may be able to get into contortionism. Right now I put all of my flexibility into kickboxing.

2 months ago, I starting getting a sore knee, and it would hurt ALL THE TIME. Standing? Hurts. Sitting? Hurts. Gentle bending? Hurts. I didn’t think much of it until a few weeks ago because naturally, I thought it was because of my orthotics, so I had been expecting some pain. But it hasn’t shifted at all and my podiatrist is worried. I went to the physio and it looks like I’ve strained my hamstring through not only the realignment of my feet and an injury on the leg extension machine, but it turns out I also naturally stand with my knees hyperextended and the sudden exercise in my life has caused it to hurt. I never knew I did this, and now I have to focus on doing everything with ‘soft knees’.

I did a bit of research, and it turns out I am hyper-mobile, which explains a lot. I’ll ask my physio to confirm this during my next appointment, because it’s only in my hips, knees and ankles and I can’t find any information on having hyper-mobile hips. I can find info on how to open your hips more, but nothing about naturally open hips and how to look after them to prevent injury etc etc because I know that now I’ll have to really focus on what I’m doing so that I don’t get into bad exercise habits and do myself an injury later on.

So after all that, my question here is what do you do to ease your pain caused by hyper-mobility? I’m doing all of my exercises given to me to strengthen my hamstring and help my knees, but I’m still in great pain pretty much 24/7. I know it takes time to heal and train but right now I can’t sit certain ways, I have to stand certain ways, I always have an ice pack or a heat pack on my knee to try and ease the pain but it doesn’t really work. It’s gotten worse over the last few days to the point where today I felt like I needed crutches in order to get anywhere. Any tips anyone may have on how to get some kind of relief for a little will be greatly appreciated.

All I want to do is get back into the gym and work as hard as I can (the gym is my newfound passion and hopefully lifelong hobby) but I can’t right now and it’s incredibly frustrating.