I stretch, I strengthen and I only get tighter

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by scienceofspin, Jul 13, 2018.

1. scienceofspin

scienceofspin New Member

especially in my hips. What is wrong with my body?

2. TheFezig

TheFezig New Member

I wish I could help you, but instead I am camping out in this thread looking at the answers because this is my exact problem. Stretch multiple times daily, even tried weighted stretching, and I am always tight. Especially through my hips, hamstrings, lower back, and shoulders. Basically everywhere.

3. butterhorse

butterhorse New Member

Get a lacrosse ball and start going to town on those knotted up muscles. Fix your posture.

4. NotTooDeep

NotTooDeep New Member

It's not your body; it's you. The good news is, the correction is not difficult, once you understand the mechanisms at work.

Think of your muscles like bags of water. Do some squats with free weights for the first time and your upper legs get firm the very next day. Muscles respond the fasted to exercise; water flows into the muscles.

Think of your tendons and ligaments like the wood branches of a willow tree. Water doesn't flow into them as fast, nor should it. These tissues serve to keep your joints stable. This is key. This explains why you can lift more weight with a weight machine than with a free weight. Your primary muscles are still strong enough, but the joints are not stable through the larger and more varied range of motion. So what happens?

There is a system of nerves in the connective tissues than down regulate the muscles when they sense a joint becoming unstable or the connective tissue beginning to over stress. That's it in a nutshell.

Your body will not allow you to destroy it in most cases.

My hips took a year to get wider than 90 degrees in a straddle stretch when I began martial arts. Three years later, that was 130 degrees. Great success, if you look at how much better I could move. Total failure if you only compared it to those with full pancake splits.

Don't measure yourself only by what others can do. Be patient. Feel your movements change and appreciate the gradual progress.

Fun fact: my original hips back in the day had genetic limits to their range of motion. I learned this when an instructor had me lay down on my back, then bent my calf against my hamstrings and rotated my hip around to map the shape of the joint. Everyone has a protrusion that their leg has to navigate around when the leg is lifted up and swings sideways, level to the ground, from front to back. My protrusion happened to be of a size and position that my roundhouse kicks would never look exactly like my teacher's.

I say original hips because I'm getting hip replacements. Already have one. Second one happens in two weeks. In a few months, it will be fun to test that range of motion again.

5. Bl4nkface

Bl4nkface New Member

We can't make a diagnosis from only a question. Please describe your whole situation.

6. Totally-Legitimate

Totally-Legitimate New Member

Consider how you're stretching, and when you're strengthening in relation to your stretching. Stretching in certain ways can inhibit muscle length when followed by strength training.

There was a new study released on stretching that might give you some insight: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3273886/

7. Tony_Chu

Tony_Chu New Member

Try warmth, massage, warming up, stretching more lightly, light exercise and rest days.

Do a quick forward fold attempt, and then another after 75 jumping jacks if you want to see real-world effects of warming up. It really does help with ROM and it is better to stretch loosened muscles lightly than to push cold muscles.

Good luck!

8. Mathieulombardi

Mathieulombardi New Member

Without knowing anything about your routine and life style, I'd say check these out:

You might also need a lot of deep massages and tissue release in those tight areas.