I've been stretching every day for 6 months

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by estoned647, Oct 14, 2018.

1. estoned647

estoned647 New Member

As the title says, I've been doing static hip stretches twice a day for about 6 months, and have had only slight increases in my flexibility. This was at request of a physiotherapist for some knee/hip problems. My hip flexibility is atrocious in about every direction. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong and looking for a little motivation to continue.

My body:

* 25M
    * Slight imbalance/rotation in my hips (this is what my physio is working on)
    * Am working at a desk job, but get up frequently to walk/stretch
    * I exercise, cycle a few times a week, dance, hike, do yoga, and am overall very fit and active
    * I cannot do the "half side split" mentioned in the FAQ
    * Forward fold angle is about 100 degrees (locked knees), but can touch the ground without too much trouble if my knees are slightly bent and I allow my back to round.

My routine (twice daily, for each leg):

* Lying on back piriformis stretch, 2x hold for 30s
    * Lying on back hamstring stretch with a belt, 2x hold for 30s
    * Lying on side quadriceps stretch, 2x hold for 30s

I find that often when stretching I either feel nothing, or I hit a spot where I get slowly mounting pain in the stretched muscle. With some stretches I find it's a lot easier to get a "good stretch" for example with forward fold. Sometimes I feel almost nothing although I am exerting a large amount of force on the stretched limb, for example pulling into a hamstring stretch.

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. elktamer

elktamer New Member

I'm very inflexible too. For me the biggest improvement( which has still been little compared to most people here on /r/gumby) has come from:

1) finding "other" muscles that are tight but movable. i.e. my hamstrings won't stretch until I release something in my hips or psoas first.

2) getting stronger in muscles that don't seem important for primary motion, but are actually weak when I do a full survey like they do for the elderly.

3. Chased1k

Chased1k New Member

Forget flexibility and go for mobility. My flexibility (which I would now refer to as mobility) increased markedly when I started focusing on dynamic stretches and self myofascial release work. I would check out MobilityWOD on YouTube (Kelly Starett) or google Magnificent Mobility (Eric Cressey) for resources. Get yourself a foam roller and a lacrosse ball and get to work (YouTube search for SMR as well). The main point of this reply is that sometimes tension is making up for imbalances... so your hamstrings are tight... you stretch them, they tighten back up. That could be because those tight hamstrings are keeping you together... weak or sleeping glutes, weak or sleeping abs, (lower cross syndrome)... doing the dynamic stretching and activation can help with that, and the self myofascial release can work synergistically with the stretching and in some cases be more effective. I probably have a YouTube link on my old channel explaining a lot of this if you have more interest, but I’m pretty sure you have enough to try here... and if your not convinced, in 30 seconds you I can test some of this stuff. Grab a lacrosse ball or golf ball. Before stretching, test your forward toe touch. Roll out only on foot on the bottom, finding any tender points and applying pressure. Test again. I guarantee you that one side will feel looser in the test than before. Then even yourself out with the other foot.

4. elgodo7

elgodo7 New Member

dont do static stretching and if you do then do it for longg and breathe and relax into the position. also try to do pnf stretching or mobility drills, Foam rolling before stretching will also help

5. Lahusen

Lahusen New Member

Stretch for 3-5mins. Google yin yoga.

6. Eyiolf_the_Foul

Eyiolf_the_Foul New Member

Are you also working on your overall body strength? Stronger I get more flexible I get.

7. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Took me \~2years to improve overall, couldn't reach my knees but now can past my toes. It took \~6months of consistent stretching before I could reach my knees (1 handspan). From memory I think it's 28 inches improvement (don't have a tape measure here). I was genuinely stiff, my muscles had contracted down since I didn't stretch properly for almost a decade.

Here's what I did:

* Dynamic stretches before exercise
    * passive stretches post exercise--> do this by stretching until you are uncomfortable. You will feel the tension. Within \~30sec you should feel yourself relax. Hold this pose for \~30 sec. If you don't feel yourself relax, you have stretched too far and need to pull back. Keep doing this over and over at least 3-4x, going deeper into the stretch.
    * PNF stretching--> use a bath robe belt or against the wall
    * hot yoga
    * deadlifts

Any one of these would cause delayed onset muscle soreness so depending on the soreness I would or wouldn't stretch.

8. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Took me \~2years to improve overall, couldn't reach my knees but now can past my toes. It took \~6months of consistent stretching before I could reach my knees (1 handspan). From memory I think it's 28 inches improvement (don't have a tape measure here). I was genuinely stiff, my muscles had contracted down since I didn't stretch properly for almost a decade.

Here's what I did:

* passive stretches post exercise--> do this by stretching until you are uncomfortable. You will feel the tension. Within \~30sec you should feel yourself relax. Hold this pose for \~30 sec. If you don't feel yourself relax, you have stretched too far and need to pull back. Keep doing this over and over at least 3-4x, going deeper into the stretch.
    * hot yoga
    * deadlifts

Any one of these would cause delayed onset muscle soreness so depending on the soreness I would or wouldn't stretch.

9. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

10. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

11. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

12. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

13. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

14. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

15. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

16. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

17. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

18. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

19. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts

20. Janerover

Janerover New Member

Here's what I did:

* hot yoga
    * deadlifts