Laterally raising legs causes cramp in hips, what could be the cause?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by paathurnaxe, Oct 9, 2017.

1. paathurnaxe

paathurnaxe New Member

Just a quick question about a problem I've noticed in my hips.

If I'm lying down on my side and I raise one of my legs up into the air then after a few seconds I start to get an ache which will develop into cramp if I keep the leg raised.

I'm just wondering what might be the cause of this? I'm thinking it might be my hip flexors which could be tight, but I'm not entirely sure.

2. julesandthebigun

julesandthebigun New Member

I really hope someone answers this. It feels like my hip is dislocating. I've been in pain for almost a year now

3. kilgour22

kilgour22 New Member

I'm guessing you get cramps on the outside of the hips? If this is the case, then it's likely due to tight and weak hip abductors. You should try strengthening them via clam shells and do some basic stretching for them. (90/90 hip stretch is a good one.)

4. frisgirl

frisgirl New Member

This definitely used to happen to me, I solved the issue on the strength/flexibility program I'm on right now called Happy Body. I think the main exercise that would help is getting into a really good place with your squat. Here's a workout I do 6 days out of the week: the exercise is like this- take two light dumbbells (5 or 8lbs to start with) and maybe 2 or 3 packs of index cards (depending on your ankle flexibility). Put your heels and most of your weight on the stack of cards, with your feet right next to each other. Lift the dumbbells to your shoulders, squat all the way down, press them straight overhead, come back up, and then bring the weights back to your sides. Do 3 reps every minute on the minute for 40 minutes. If it starts to get too difficult, use lower weights and/or go down to 2 reps per minute.

This is the guy who wrote the Happy Body program, he holds records in olympic weightlifting: