Loaded stretching instead of static passive

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by LGPlatinum, Feb 9, 2019.

1. LGPlatinum

LGPlatinum New Member

I have never had success with static aka relaxed stretching. Even if I managed sit still and hold a stretch for more than 60-90 seconds, it gave me the same amount of soreness as loaded stretching, except I regressed instead of progressing. Ok ok... Maybe I had soooome success being mroe gentle, but that's not the point.

**Can I do loaded and active stretching only** (eg. OL goodmornings and leg lifts, or lunges and donkey kicks) and still improve flexibility while **not doing any static passive stretching** whatsoever**?** Or do I still need to incorporate relaxed stretching at the end of loaded stretching or as a separate, brief, limbering up?

Kit Laughlin, for example, talks about relaxation practice done in form of meditation or relaxed stretching with aim to teach body to relieve tension consciously, as inseparable part of improving flexibility. So, it is still bogigng my mind and making me dedicate time to static stretching.

2. ozzyos2009

ozzyos2009 New Member

IMO people who don't have success with static stretching aren't including activation exercises after to teach that muscle the new ROM. Another thing, if you don't use your newly acquired ROM you will lose it. Doing a few dynamic stretches every day and going through that rom will allow you to keep it.

To your question: You can easily improve flexibility with just things such as RDL's, good mornings. (This is what you mean by loaded stretching right? When I hear loaded stretching I think of for ex: Putting weight on your knee and holding your foot in dorsiflexion for time) If you were to only do exercises like that, don't do them so often as your muscles need to recover ofc. Like I mentioned above, I would still do dynamic movements throughout the day or as part of a morning routine. Static passive stretching is just one of many ways you can improve your flexibility/mobility. If you're enjoying that way of stretching and seeing improvements by all means keep doing so.

3. EloyFalcon

EloyFalcon New Member

The loaded stretching puts a lot of tension in the muscles so if you are sore after passive stretching be prepare to be sore for a week with loaded. It depends on your goals but the combination of passive and loaded stretching + strengthening is very good to improve the range of motion. You will see a lot of people telling you tricks, hacks and shortcuts but in reality for a healthy connectivity tissues you don't wanna rush, I know people that require a lot of time to show off their flexibility skills and that means that their bodies are not ready for that range of motion, it's a fake.