Lower Back Achiness

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by heelguns, Sep 9, 2017.

1. heelguns

heelguns New Member

My back is generally pretty flexible when it comes to back bends, and has never really caused me much issue. Recently though my lower back has been giving me achiness days after doing deep back bending, especially if I have to bend forwards at all (my legs are tight in comparison to the rest of my body, so forward bending is my usual weakspot).

Doing bends like [this](https://imgur.com/M0QTPKx) and [this](https://imgur.com/BR2Mzs8) give me no issues at the time and are comfortable positions for me, but it's the days after where the aching flares up and will take another few days to return to normal.

I'm wondering if my core and back muscles aren't strong enough to support bending so far, or if the problem lies in tight legs and weak forward bends. I do try to do some counter bending afterwards to stretch things out, but getting the same extreme bend going forward is extremely difficult. Do any of you more experienced guys have any ideas to what could be causing the issue or what stretches could help even things out?

2. genida

genida New Member

Holy shit, it looks like someone photoshopped two pictures together. Do you ever scratch your ass with your scalp? That is amazing :)

God damn I need to stretch more, and now I want to try that pole thing.

3. BritLeFay

BritLeFay New Member

your back is crazy flexible! how are your hips, though? it's hard to tell in your first pic how much your hips are extended. low back pain is often attributable to tight hip flexors. it could be that after doing back bends, your core is all tired out and so your iliopsoas is compensating and tightening up. forward bends may also contribute to your iliopsoas tightening. try rolling it out with a tennis ball and stretching them after lots of backbending.

4. sir_ramen

sir_ramen New Member

It could, unlikely (considering the correlation between stretching), be an issue with your kidneys. Again, unlikely.

Also, yes, your hips are not as flexible as your back at all, and is the most likely cause of your discomfort.

5. KamikazeHamster

KamikazeHamster New Member

4 things pull on your hips. Your abs in front and your lower back behind. Your hip flexors and your hamstrings affect the pulls from below. Fix all those.

Also try flexing your glutes. Stand up straight and tighten your butt and your hips will be in the position they need to be. Hold for 30 seconds to strengthen.

I'm also looking for correction here as I'm not an expert, but that's what I was told. Hope it helps.

6. peanutsjelly

peanutsjelly New Member

7. Tsessebe

Tsessebe New Member

You are going to get a lot of people saying stuff about hip flexors. If it turns out it IS because of tight hips then it is just as likely due to tight adductors.

SI problems are a right pain in the arse.

8. one2one2v2

one2one2v2 New Member

DOMS in the QL or lats? Like people are saying, work on the hip more.

http://www.fitstep.com/2/4-exercise-library/1-muscle-anatomy/graphics/back-anatomy-lats-traps.gif

https://i2.wp.com/loveyogaanatomy.c...t_lumb_yoga_anatomy.jpg?fit=963,662&ssl=1

General overall mobility goes a long way. If you can imaging a lot of deep hip movements also loosens up the lower back area. For example when you deepen a hamstring stretch, you bring your chest closer to your shin, or same with pigeon pose except the femur is out to the side and rotated as opposed to completely straight. What else is extending in these cases? the lower back

If Hip flexor brings a slight overtension as we do things, it also brings extra demands to everything around the joint it's associated with. This is why upper/lower body cross syndrome is a thing. No matter the case the answer is always the same, go the holistic approach, reset and improve everything. Hell even if you did strength training on your core and shoulder it would improve your lower back.

The non exercises/recovery side of things:

Jumping on to highquality sups (Usana or throne are the best 2 on the market, Usana is the best hands down), and water will also surprise you.

Go a few rounds of High quality Digestive Enzymes and probiotics (actual probiotics are 1,000-10,000 times more effective than just fermented food, I take AFP-Peptizyde and Usana. Mt. Capra is also extremely good). Eliminate unnecessary inflammation being generated by what's floating in your gut. Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Bifidobacteriu are the 2 musts. Protease and Peptidase are the cherry on the tops. Get all 4 and you'll be well covered.