Maintaining flexibility while pregnant

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by oswin13, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:26 PM.

1. oswin13

oswin13 New Member

I've been told to avoid overstretching while pregnant, but I feel like I'm losing flexibility. Is there a happy medium. I had front splits on both sides and a fairly wide straddle before pregnancy and I am having a harder time getting into a flat split, my hamstrings in particular feel very tight. I'm not very big yet so that isn't an issue.

2. adr3nochrome

adr3nochrome New Member

I took some classes a while ago with a pregnant woman. Her pregnancy was doing ok and she was used to flexibility training before getting pregnant, so her doctor said it was no problem to keep on, as long she didn't feel any discomfort. She could even practice backbends and bridges until 6 or 7 months. She would just avoid what didn't make her completely comfortable. Everything was ok with her and the baby after! It depends on your general health and how is your pregnancy going, because it may vary a lot from woman to woman. Was it your doctor who told you to avoid stretching?

3. BritLeFay

BritLeFay New Member

one should avoid overstretching in any state :p stretching itself should be fine, as long as there is no specific medical reason not to. but overstretching is a lot easier to accidentally do when pregnant, so you probably don't want to try to increase your flexibility right now, just maintain what you have. be really mindful of alignment and engagement, and don't push nearly as far you would normally. probably should stay away from that feeling of stretching discomfort and only go up the threshold of it.

4. oboz_waves

oboz_waves New Member

How far along are you? Unless you’re over 7-8 months there’s really no risk to the baby. I would definitely spend more time getting into deeper stretches and don’t push it but I would get a second opinion. I’ve seen badass ladies 4-6 months in still doing CrossFit! I can’t imagine a little bit of light stretching would hurt anything.

Pregnancy isn’t a deteriorating state it’s entirely natural

5. bltrvns9

bltrvns9 New Member

Do yoga once a week.

6. Fxlyre

Fxlyre New Member

If you strengthen the end ranges of motion, you shouldn't have to worry about being "loose"

7. saucy2wheel

saucy2wheel New Member

I think what you’re trying to keep is muscle tension, i.e. like a rubber band ready to snap?

Flexibility is just muscle length really, you can still have a really dense/tight muscle and flexibility even if it’s long. That’s why NFL players try to be as flexible as possible. It’s a good thing.

In physics, Work done= Force * distance.
    Longer muscle & same force = more work.

Just keep lifting and keep your current flexibility routine, I think you’ve overthought this a bit.