Morning stiffness

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by Ed0702, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Ed0702

Ed0702 New Member

Hey guys, I am a flexible guy, though in the morning I feel stiff as fuck, when i tuck my chin in the chest, especially in seated forward bending (in the morning) my mid-upper back really gets pulledd and hurts, at that point it's not just a stretch but it's pain no matter how little I do it. I never been able to stretch that part and I have no idea why I feel this. It's why I avoid stretching in the morning. I thought of doing acupuncture for it. What do you guys think of it?

2. laddiemawery

laddiemawery New Member

Probably not that helpful to you but here's what I've been doing. I've never been a flexible person and really only got into working on it more the past month or so. Like you I'm super stiff in the morning and what works for me has been using a heating pack on my back. I keep that on for 15-20 minutes while I work on some other things and then do a small warm up before I get into it.

Its been working for me, but I also have terrible circulation on top of being stiff as hell.

3. one2one2v2

one2one2v2 New Member

"Morning stiffness" Welcome to puberty haha.

I'd look at your sleeping habits. Do you need a new mattress, is your current one too soft?. I have a tendency to to have my shoulder completely compressed which agitates the my shoulders and neck to "lock up" because my body remembers a previous injury that happened. So I had to adjust my sleeping habits.

In terms of pain, it's as simple of creating a new relationship with your body.

This should help:
    http://deskgram.org/physioflexsf

4. Lionkilla

Lionkilla New Member

Buy a new mattress. Pillow top or temperpedic memory foam. Your body will thank you.

5. mighty_boogs

mighty_boogs New Member

Any pain or inflammation in the morning? I had to this starting in my early 20's. Turns out ankylosing spondylitis runs in the family.

6. lionseatcake

lionseatcake New Member

Yes. Laying down and doing nothing will contribute to stiffness. That's obvious. Yoga on off days. Jogging. Squat mobility routines. How are you an 'Olympic weightlifter' but you don't know this stuff?

7. kyounpark

kyounpark New Member

Off topic, but what are you numbers?

8. masterbatehoven

masterbatehoven New Member

9. kiery12

kiery12 New Member

Okay, this may sound a bit weird, and seeing your age you probably can't go out and purchase this, but for me I can do all the stretches I want, but if I'm not sleeping on a good mattress I wake up stiff. Particularly if the mattress is too soft. Can you sleep at a friend's place to try out a different mattress?

10. Daemonblackfyre0

Daemonblackfyre0 New Member

Title made me think this was a post about morning wood. I'll see myself out

11. Mathieulombardi

Mathieulombardi New Member

Such is life. Check out klokov teaching trappy chan flexibility for lifts on YouTube. Supposedly it makes it easier to get in to position faster. I also warm up at least 45.

12. Arandanos

Arandanos New Member

How old are you? Once you start hitting puberty this sort of thing becomes totally natural. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're curious you can ask your parents/doctor about it, whoever you're most comfortable talking to.

13. mindful_flexibility

mindful_flexibility New Member

As commented by someone else, try a different mattress/pillow. I use a hard mattress and it really helps, soft ones make me feel horrible.

Go to Ikea and lie down on a few mattresses. See if you prefer hard ones over soft. When I travel and sleep on soft mattresses everything starts aching!

14. iwillbemyownlight

iwillbemyownlight New Member

Um. I'm just going to say this because it hasn't been mentioned:

Stretch more. Get more flexible. The more flexible you are, the easier it is to get into the right position. If you're talking about cold flexibility, look into isometric stretching and developing strength in your ROM. But tbh it seems like at this stage, you're just lacking in flexibility. Stretch. Be consistent.

You'll always be less flexible in the morning after not moving for a long time, and more flexible when you warm up. Warm up is also important for reducing your risks of injury. So please warm up. Take it slow. Progress will come.