Moronic Monday 2017-07-17 @ /r/Flexibility

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by AutoModerator, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 AM.

1. AutoModerator

AutoModerator New Member

Have a "stupid" question and are afraid to ask it? (Or don't want to make a whole thread for it?) Well, feel free to ask away in this thread! There's no such thing as a stupid question. This is also a great opportunity for the rest of the community to help each other out.

**Guidelines:**

* As always, **[read the FAQ](http://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility/wiki/faq)** to make sure your question isn't answered already.
    * If you're looking for the Motivational Month threads from the past, they are all [here in our Wiki](https://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility/wiki/pastchallenges).
    * You can also use the search bar to see if an answer to your question exists already.
    * We are not medical professionals. If something hurts and it doesn't go away within a week's rest, see one!

Enjoy!

2. TheBatmann

TheBatmann New Member

My flexibility is so bad I can't even do half the starting stretching routine. Is there anyone here with some routine which is even more basic?

3. Pogue__Mahone

Pogue__Mahone New Member

Lunge stretch is causing knee pain - a little bit in the front and down the side. This only happens on my left side. I make sure that I maintain good form by tucking my butt and squeezing my glutes. Also the same pain occurs when I try to stretch my quads. When I do a standing quad stretch, sometimes I can't feel anything (and usually I'm squeezing my butt)... and when I do feel a stretch, pain will also be present.

I have a weak left side - my left glute isn't as strong as my right, but it's not as bad as it used to be. When I did glute bridges a few months ago, my hamstrings would take over. But in the last two months, my left side has been fine, although still not as powerful but I'm working on it.

This has been happening for a while but I forgot to mention it to my physio at the start of the year. (I'll have to book another appointment as they're the experts obviously, but I'm interested to know your thoughts.)

(Didn't know where else to put this + didn't think this warranted a new thread.)

4. UnsuppleLeopard

UnsuppleLeopard New Member

What lateral angle still constitutes middle split? I can't seem to be able to get 180° due to pain on the hips (non-stretchy feeling but rather structural impingement/pain), but I can get to 175°-ish oversplits. When I search for split pics most of them are from the front which makes it hard to tell the lateral angle. Is it even possible for normal humans to do strict 180° and not slightly-less than 180° lateral angle splits? Thanks!

5. Noobgill

Noobgill New Member

Does warm shower count as a warm-up

6. rambrambrambrambram

rambrambrambrambram New Member

could somebody guide me to a rough routine of how i would gain enough flexibility to sit cross legged?

thanks

7. softball753

softball753 New Member

Here's a real dumb question that I can't seem to google: why are shoulder dislocates (the stretch with a bar or band) called "dislocates"? Is it just because of how the shoulder looks in the stretched position?

8. ghosty06

ghosty06 New Member

Any recommendations for active stretching for internal rotation of the hips I can do in the office? Preferably while seated on a chair.

9. Carb_Destroyer

Carb_Destroyer New Member

Can someone explain what build strength in your end range means?

10. ElsatheIceKhaleesi

ElsatheIceKhaleesi New Member

I am not sure how far to stretch. I don't feel like I am making any progress. I've always been naturally flexible but I want to be able to do a straddle/both side splits and I'm not getting any closer. I don't really know if I understand the difference between pain and the pulling I'm supposed to feel.

11. calpolyman

calpolyman New Member

when i lay flat on the floor, my lower back is very arched... as in it's probably 2 inches off of the ground... is this likely due to anterior pelvic tilt? How can I get comfortable laying flat on the floor?

12. UnsuppleLeopard

UnsuppleLeopard New Member

When stretching middle split on the wall like in this post https://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility/comments/6rn9gv/1_year_middle_split_progress/, I just eventually reach lateral depth that both hips feel "blocked" (like in the hip joint). Does that mean wrong positioning (e.g. bad pelvic position, knees not fully straight, etc). Or does mean that my hip sockets are not designed for full 180° middle splits and I should just move on? Thanks!

13. RawrsOfGnar

RawrsOfGnar New Member

how could i work on my very narrow straddle? every time i try to push my legs farther out i feel a weird tight pulling behind my knees which kinda hurts :/

14. Carb_Destroyer

What muscles do I need to Improve to get my leg behind my head?

15. foulbfrog

foulbfrog New Member

Any good tips to warm up/get the blood flowing to my lower back before benching / leg days?

My lower back is often quite stiff in the morning hours.

16. spockofwesteros

spockofwesteros New Member

Is the content on this sub different from /r/yoga in terms of just flexibility? Is starting stretching and molding mobility a better alternative to yoga?

17. spockofwesteros

spockofwesteros New Member

Is it possible for dudes with big muscles to get flexible?

18. Carb_Destroyer

This isn't a question but I finally figured out how to get into a straddle. You start with your legs in front of you and just use your muscles to move them as far as you can, and then you start pushing your body forward while keeping your legs at the same position

19. NumeroBruno

NumeroBruno New Member

I can touch my toes pretty easily when I curve my back. But if my back is straight, I can't even get close to a 90 degree angle.

For instance, if I'm in the bathroom, and stand perfectly straight, just lifting one leg straight up and resting the heel on the bathtub ledge gives me an amazing stretch in the hamstrings. Can't go much further than that.

Should I just keep doing stretching like that or are there other muscles other than the hamstrings that are limiting me?

I'd love to be able to just sit at a 90 degree angle with a straight back and legs straight out. My goal is to maybe relieve my awful plantar fasciitis, people say tight calves cause that but I can stretch my foot upwards pretty far, doesn't feel too tight. It's my hamstrings that might be bringing the whole system to shit.

20. jonblaze32

jonblaze32 New Member

So apparently the more research I do the more I find out I'm doing wrong :/

Is is better to do one single stretch for hamstrings or "circuit style" of different stretches? sources seem to differ. Thank you!