Moronic Monday 2017-07-17 @ /r/Flexibility

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by AutoModerator, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 AM.

1. personwithcomputer

personwithcomputer New Member

I can put my nose to the floor in butterfly, my hip flexors are quite flexible, and my hamstring flexibility isn't bad (100 degrees from standing). However, when I try to do pancake, I can't even sit up without having to prop myself up. And when I do try to sit up, something in my hips cramps up and I have to stop.

Can someone tell me a stretch I can do to alleviate this? It's a major roadblock for me right now.

2. Lionkilla

Lionkilla New Member

I volunteer in a physical therapy facility and the therapists I shadow advises me not to curve my back when I'm touching the floor but to keep my back straight as possible and reach as low as I can. He told me it decreases any bulging or protrusions on the discs on my spine. I get all that but my hammies are so damn tight for me to touch the floor and I'm tilting my pelvis forward as much as I can to go low as I keep my back straight.

Any of you out there able to touch the floor with your palms while keeping the back straight and how did you progress to do so?

3. Supermotofit

Supermotofit New Member

I am looking for help to gain flexibility for a press handstand. I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I would imagine progressing the pancake and hamstrings.

Any help would be great, thanks.

4. leopoldsgargoyle

leopoldsgargoyle New Member

How many muscles are in the upper back?

5. LGPlatinum

LGPlatinum New Member

How important for flexibility is fascia, especially for a beginner?

I feel like it and scar tissue are holding back my progress.

6. ceziceu

ceziceu New Member

7. Carb_Destroyer

Carb_Destroyer New Member

How can people like Anna Mcnulty get 270° splits in four years? A lot of contortionists never get that far...

8. prof_nyan

prof_nyan New Member

My lower back to hips area is the least flexible part of my body. Where should I look for stretches to improve this flexibility? My eventual goals include pancake stretch and side split, but im sure those are months down the road.

9. YurganDurgan

YurganDurgan New Member

As long as I feel a stretch in a muscle performing movements that should be well within my range of motion, is that a "stretch" that I can do to become more flexible (even when it's not typically or otherwise recognized)?

10. sweetdread

sweetdread New Member

If I warm up, (5 min trampoline) stretch a lot (20min) and practice gymnastics (10 min) does that count as a workout, or should I do more?

11. iams3b

iams3b New Member

Literally just decided and started the starting stretching routing half hour ago. It says 60 seconds each stretch.. on ones that have two sides (lunges, behind the back grab thing, twisty leggy) do I do each side for 60sec, or switch at 30sec?

12. danisssy

danisssy New Member

Would warrior 2 stretch the it band? Got tge foam roller out tonight and felt almost nothing there so im wondering what has loosened it.

13. LGPlatinum

LGPlatinum New Member

Combining relaxed stretching, PNF, and loaded stretching, in which order would you do them?

TL;DR: Loaded stretching after gaining ROM, or to gain ROM?

14. leopoldsgargoyle

leopoldsgargoyle New Member

So you know how there a few stretches that stretch the same muscle? is it worth it to do multiple different stretches on the same muscle? My calves are always tight, and I think they might be the source of my knee pain. Any thoughts?

15. danisssy

danisssy New Member

Should i avoid L sits if i want to loosen my hips? Seems like they could tighten the hips more.

16. IIIRichardIII

IIIRichardIII New Member

Pike stretch with elevated toes yay or nay?

I've been looking for streches to hit different part of the calf to improve my dorsal flexion and I really liked this stretch since it seemed to hit lower if I lean forward more. Is there a reason I havn't heard much about this stretch before? It felt quite good

17. IIIRichardIII

IIIRichardIII New Member

what do we think about pike position with toes elevated? I haven't heard anythign about this variation in either dance or martial arts but after trying it out i love the feeling I get from it because I can lean further back to hit the upper part of my calves and forwards to hit the lower part I've had trouble getting before.

If it's bad why is it meh? and if it's good why do you hear so little about this position?

18. SheFightsHerShadow

SheFightsHerShadow New Member

Why do people recommand to stretch the antagonist of a muscle too in order to increase flexibility in the target muscles? I've now heard from 2-3 unrelated sources that it helps to increase hamstring flexibility if you stretch your quads too, but no word on the why. Anybody have any insight?

19. sepi_

sepi_ New Member

I saw in the FAQ that post workout stretching is a bit more recommended but shows 'a little dip' in performance. As this paragraph is phrased with not a objective conclusion, which is better.
    I wonder does it even matter for my day to day life?
    Has anybody ever experienced it or could just explain, the importance of the time I stretch?
    Sorry for my bad English and thanks in advance.

20. purekhaos

purekhaos New Member

Hello! I read through the faq and am considering using "starting stretching" on phrakture as a launching point but wanted to ask if there might be something better for my goals.

1) I get a lot of tension in my shoulders and neck, which causes migraines. I am seeing a doctor for the migraines, but currently am only rolling my neck and believe more shoulder/neck stretching might help.

2)
    Short term: I would like to be comfortable sitting in half lotus for 15-20 minutes at a time.

Long term: Indefinitely sit in half lotus, be comfortable in full lotus for short periods of time.

3) I get very sore in the groin/inner thigh area after any physical activity. It doesn't matter if I took a particularly long leisurely walk or spent 3 hours rock climbing. I would like to have more flexibility and less soreness in these... muscles? Tendons?

Is this routine a good starting point for me, or might someone have other recommendations? Currently I jut run through 5 minutes or so of what I can recall of dynamic stretching in high school.