Moronic Monday 2018-01-01 @ /r/Flexibility

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by AutoModerator, Dec 8, 2018 at 6:58 PM.

1. AutoModerator

AutoModerator New Member

Have a "stupid" question and are afraid to ask it? (Or don't want to make a whole thread for it?) Well, feel free to ask away in this thread! There's no such thing as a stupid question. This is also a great opportunity for the rest of the community to help each other out.

**Guidelines:**

* As always, **[read the FAQ](http://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility/wiki/faq)** to make sure your question isn't answered already.
    * If you're looking for the Motivational Month threads from the past, they are all [here in our Wiki](https://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility/wiki/pastchallenges).
    * You can also use the search bar to see if an answer to your question exists already.
    * We are not medical professionals. If something hurts and it doesn't go away within a week's rest, see one!

Enjoy!

2. Grumpybackpacker

Grumpybackpacker New Member

So I noticed yesterday that when doing the rocking frog stretch for the first time in a while, I can no longer get my left ankle to rotate onwards to the ground ( so my foot is flat). This never used to be a problem- I can’t feel what is tight- I just can’t rotate and it hurts my knee if I try to force it.

What’s causing it and how do I fix it? Or is this stretch the fix?

3. PostJabrone

PostJabrone New Member

Is it common for calf/hamstring stretches to be extremely unpleasant? I get an awful feeling around the knee that makes stretching the area almost unbearable

4. spiritualpunk

spiritualpunk New Member

ive got a decent stretch on my back but i wanna take it to the next level. I wanna do the lord of the dance and king pigeon asanas but im having a hard time picking a routine. help?

5. yourmum35

yourmum35 New Member

I have IT band syndrome which causes pain in my knee, has been ongoing for about a year. Physiotherapist has told me that tightness in the hip is a contributor, overall strength, mobility and flexibility seem to alleviate pain mostly. Anyone have similar issues or experience?

I'm moderately flexible for a 27yo male but would like to increase general flexibility for general wellbeing, injury management and prevention and to help with my sport (jiu jitsu). Any tips on where to start in terms of developing a program for myself to follow.

6. -Skinwalker-

-Skinwalker- New Member

I naturally have some insane hip flexor mobility. For example, my hammies are tight so splits arent an option but a pigeon post doesn't even put a stretch on that hip flexor. Is there really any reason to worry about it tightening up over time if I do lots of hip flexor strengthening without stretching it out?

7. LGPlatinum

LGPlatinum New Member

If a weighted front squat puts me in the perfect bottom position which I have to put more effort to stay in without weights, would front squats actually improve my flexibility, or does the weight actually assist it and compensate for the lack of flexibility like a leverage?

8. hunneybunny

hunneybunny New Member

Copying from last week's thread: How do people stretch splits on hard floors? I have no problems doing a full split on a mat but when I try on a hard floor sans any mats it feels so painful and uncomfortable for my knees and heels and bony parts :(

9. Lumber-Jacked

Lumber-Jacked New Member

TLDR: Pain in front of ankle when bringing knees forward. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to work on my ankle dorsiflexion as it is causing pain when I squat. I was trying to evaluate where my issues are coming from and I tested my ankle flexion by holding my foot a few inches from the wall and trying to bring my knee to it. Left ankle is pretty dang flexible. But my right gets a pinching pain at the front of the ankle.

I watched [this video]() on fixing your ankle mobility for squatting. Towards the end of the video he offers advice to those of us with the pinch at the front of the ankle rather than the tightness at the back. He puts a band around his ankle pulling the [talus bone](http://nritarutya.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/0001.jpg) down allowing the tibia to move forward.

Any other ankle stretches out there to help people with the pinch in the front of the ankle?

10. bigganya

bigganya New Member

Can i start gymnastics at the age of 20?

11. eFeqt

eFeqt New Member

How can I test thoracic mobility effectively with a barrel chest? That means my ribcage is pretty big and protrudes both ways making my upper back not flat like it's supposed to but it looks kyphotic. This means that whenever I lean against a wall and try to do wall slides or lie down on the floor or anything, my upper back is sticking out and holding me back from doing it properly (I think). Here's what I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/a/L9SCm

12. JTBreddit42

JTBreddit42 New Member

Today, my right foot is twisted out a lot more than normal. I remember there was some stretch where you could check for tightness by looking at the rotation of the feet when lying down. But I can't remember the stretch.

There is no indication of injury. That is, there is no pain, loss of strength, or discomfort (that in itself is unusual...I do get pain when driving long periods). I did deep step-ups yesterday. Normally I either squat, deadlift, or make 1/2 an attempt at a pistol squat. But I decided to focus on my glutes...

Can anybody tell me which muscles cause the foot to rotate?

13. abstracity

abstracity New Member

My SO is a mid-distance runner and he also works out at the gym regularly; however, recently he has noticed that his lower back is extremely tight. I was wondering if there were any particular stretches that can help him with his lower back flexibility. Thank you!

14. CPTherptyderp

CPTherptyderp New Member

Is this the right sub to find quick yoga routines for flexibility/mobility? Didn't see anything in the sidebar

15. Trance_Motion

Trance_Motion New Member

No hip mobility/flexibility. Makes squating and deadlifting really difficult. Can someone share a daily routine or pre lift routine to help!?

16. Sellow_Yubmarine

Sellow_Yubmarine New Member

Is it really possible to increase range of motion when you have stiff it tight muscles. (warning! potential rant ahead)

I'm so tired of seeing videos of super fit people showing you how to stretch to increase flexibility and range of motion.

No I don't want 'Mr buff I-was-a-pro-am-gymnast' who can do splits, showing me how to check if my hamstring is tight.

Does anyone have personal experience or know any friends who have worked on muscle groups (particularly hip joint area flexor and calf muscle /ankle area) that have increases flexibility in any noticeable way?

My personal issue: tight calves, right calves, rolling in knees, desk chair posture etc

17. Liftakuri

Liftakuri New Member

Why does one leg flexibility lessen when you do both legs at the same time? For example, one leg toe touch vs. two leg toe touch, and also one leg hip flexion vs. two leg hip flexion.

18. Skidmark03

Skidmark03 New Member

I’ve seen while sitting you’re supposed to sit with your pelvis as if it was holding a cup of water. Pretend that you’re trying to not spill any water from it. However I don’t understand exactly what that means. I have right hips and have tried going to far one direction then too far the other direction and finding the good zone but I can’t find it.

19. SimonReach

SimonReach New Member

With my weight training and heavy squats, the next day I tend to be quite sore and tight meaning that if I was to stretch, I wouldn’t get as far into the stretch as I normally would. Is there any point in stretching muscles that have DOMS and are stiff from a previous days weight training?

20. yuiduy

yuiduy New Member

So I'm a leukemia patient who is in remission and has just gotten his portecath removed. I've talked to the surgeon who took it out and the assisting nurses and they all said I'm able to do regular ranges of motion (minus any heavy lifting). Also, because of the steroids they gave me to help my body bounce back from the chemotherapy, I suffer from avascular necrosis which is more prominent in my right hip than my left hip.

I've started doing some stretching videos from Sean Veige and some of Blogilates's videos and some other hip mobility and flexibility exersizes from [here](https://gmb.io/hip-mobility/). It feels like they've been working since some of my range of motion has returned and I can walk without feeling any stiffness in my hips, but I've been really struggling in feeling stretches in my front hips (sartorius/rectus femoris area) and that's where most of my stiffness lies. There's also some tension my in glutes (left one primarily) that comes and goes and I want to start trying to stretch those kinks out too.

Are there specific resources I should be looking to to get started? I'm looking to start the beginner's stretching at the top of the sub reddit and eventually start working my way down the list into the side splits links and such, but any other advice before I go on? Has anyone here worked any clients or people with AVN and have advice about stretching?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!