My hips wont allow me to do this half split

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by kween_of_Pettys, Oct 7, 2018.

1. kween_of_Pettys

kween_of_Pettys New Member

When I try this [half split variation,](https://imgur.com/a/pu8oe5b) my hips lock up and start to cramp, and the extended leg turns outward. My hips won't allow me to lean forward in the center. There's a lady next to her doing a beginner's version and I can't even do that! Is it my bone structure, or is it that my hips need to be more flexible?

2. today2day

today2day New Member

Well.. try to do it and keep the legs angle smaller. It is a straddle training stretch. I would say to foam roll first actually

Do this half straddle where it is comfortable, straight back, and do leg circles to strengthen the hip flexors. Then do a standing straddle and go down where it is uncomfortable and hold it for 3 minutes. By standing you are stretching and strengthening at the same time, and have gravity to help. Once you can get down, go wider and work to go lower.

I have some tension in the right hip and did this night and it felt so good. I have also been getting stronger hips, because I can only do a pancake when pushed down, meaning I am flexible but weak.

From someone with the same struggles to another, if it is stubborn go get a sports massage. It helps a lot.

3. mtbkdrmr

mtbkdrmr New Member

Took me a bit to find this ... It's from an Ekhart Yoga 5 part article on injury prevention:

"Ball and socket joints have a different range of motion than a hinge and a hinge has a different range of motion than a compressive joint. Trying to force the body into shapes that are beyond the scope of the bones, their ligaments and their range of motion can sometimes result in injuries that are irreversible. Knees and elbows are meant to hinge (flex and extend) and hinge only. The lower leg bones only rotate if they are bent (as in Virasana / Hero's Pose) and for some people this will be much, much less than others, if at all. In poses such as Eka Pada Raja Kapotasana / Pigeon Pose the position of the lower leg depends on the range of motion and orientation in the hip - the femur bone in the acetabulum (socket) of the ilium. If the range of motion in the hip is limited, trying to get lower leg bones parallel to the front of the mat will force the knee. Ligament, tendon and other soft tissue damage will surely be the result."

I believe that that there are certain poses that are not obtainable by every body no matter how much you stretch.

Don't make your body fit the perfect pose .... Make your perfect body fit the pose.

4. liltinykitter

liltinykitter New Member

Whenever you “lock up” it is an indication that you need a professional.

Don’t keep trying this until you have been cleared by a doctor. I see too much of “it’s probably not your structure” on this sub and it’s concerning, because if it IS your structure you are putting yourself at high risk for life long injury. You could be crushing your acetabulum within your joint space or something similar. See a doctor first, stop doing stretches, and make sure you are all clear to continue performing these postures.

You could have nothing wrong or you could have something wrong. Make sure you check that it’s the former first.

5. FuckThatIKeepsItReal

These things take time

Half of it is your body acclimating to the shape, the other half is you figuring it out