Neck, upper back and shoulders have been tight for years

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by natethegreatt1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. natethegreatt1

natethegreatt1 New Member

Hey all,

My posture has never been good, but in the past few years my neck/upper back/shoulders have seemed even more "forward" and bothersome. The best way I can describe it is twofold:

1) It seems I can never get my shoulder blades properly "back" and towards eachother to straighten my posture without really, really trying

2) My neck is generally sore, especially when looking left/right (I'm not sure if this is related to #1)

Would love to hear any and all suggestions for #1 or #2

Thank you

2. kiks89

kiks89 New Member

To pair with exercise, think about getting a professional massage once in a while, and use a sauna before you stretch to warm your muscles.

Do sports like Pilates and yoga and try to bring those lessons out of the studio into every day life.

I had similar problems and I’m working on it like this :) my shoulders have literally changed shape in the last few months because now they hand down and I don’t curve my spine!

3. snowgrammer

snowgrammer New Member

I had many of those same issues here, and as many others have stated ... learning better posture, alleviating the forward head (stop looking DOWN at your phone; bring your phone UP to you eye level), yoga, stretching, not sitting all day at work, regular chiropractor and massage visits have helped.

I have some stenosis in my back so surgery is an option for a more permanent fix but I'm not going down that road.

4. greengardenmoss

greengardenmoss New Member

It will always be a work in progress.

I like chin tucks (give yourself a double chin, hold 10sec, lower each ear to shoulder to add side stretch).

Also scalene self massage

Changing how you sleep and adding ergonomic changes to your daily set up helps.

Lay on a tennis ball or baseball to massage the upper back.

Good luck!