Please help - how do I rotate my hips during straddle and not sit on my pelvis with a curved back?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by sanard, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:18 PM.

1. sanard

sanard New Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips, info, or video exercises on what I can do to improve my straddle position? I can't even begin working on my pancake because I can't even sit in a straddle properly. I have bad posture and I just can't seem to not curve my back and not sit on my pelvis when I sit down. All videos I see tell me to rotate my hips, but I'm not sure how to do that. Please help!

[Pic for reference!](https://imgur.com/a/KlYlRVT)

2. AwarenessWon

AwarenessWon New Member

Try this, [ You really need to bring your chest down first. Even if you can only bring it down half way, then work your way to the floor always leading with your chest. When you lead with your chest your back do not curve your back. Keep it as straight as possible. Also to prevent hip rotation keep your feet flexed completely, this will prevent your hips from rotating! You may not be able to get your chest as close to the floor but with your feet flexed your will keep your hips non-rotated. It doesn't matter how far down you get, practice these tips and your flexibility will increase tremendously! Hope this helps!!!

3. Fxlyre

Fxlyre New Member

All these tips everyone has given you are valid. In addition, a cue that really helped me was pull up my pelvic floor

4. HeyzeusHChrist

HeyzeusHChrist New Member

yo dawg your back core is weak from sitting all day. you need to do a lot of arch body holds (superman exercise) in addition to whatever core work your doing. also a good back hyperextension machine. another thing that you can do is as the commenters have said here is put your back against the wall to force it straight. I would do that for 10-15 minutes a day while watching tv or playing on your phone.

lastly, consciously examine your posture at intervals throughout the day. set an alarm every 30 minutes and just observe where you're at.

5. Exodus111

Exodus111 New Member

You are at level 0.

Place your hands BEHIND you, and push your chest forward with your arms. Keep your back straight. You feel enough of a stretch like that.

5 minutes of straddle every other day, use PnF actively, and you should be at (what I call) level 1, placing your hands in front of you, in about 3 to 4 weeks.

6. mayg0dhaveMercy

mayg0dhaveMercy New Member

I'll add this because no one else has said it. It's a little bit silly but it works.

Literally lift your bum cheeks up with your hands and pull them back behind you so you are actually sitting on your sit bones. This will help you straighten your back and sit forward. An aerial coach of mine taught me this (it works).

7. personwithcomputer

personwithcomputer New Member

That used to be me! I worked heaps on my adductors (with one folded leg, lean forward with a straight back).

For proper straddle with both legs, I found sitting on something (e.g. a mat, or even a stool) helped a lot as well.

Another option lying on the floor with your legs against a wall and letting your legs open. That allows your adductors to passively stretch, and you can tilt your pelvis and accentuate the stretch too.

8. Sigthe2nd

Sigthe2nd New Member

Would advise stretching your piriformis as well, OP. I basically shill him but look up Kit Laughlin's stretches. A tight piriformis can prevent the pelvis from tilting anteriorly is my understanding, which is what you want here anterior pelvic tilt.