What are your opinions about ballistic stretching?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by KanashiMachine, Sep 10, 2017.

1. KanashiMachine

KanashiMachine New Member

Hi, everyone! I recently started watching Dan Jeong Conditioning's videos, specially his stretching routines and I reallized all of them were ballistic. I've been training some passive and active stretches for a long time but never really tried ballistic before. What are your opinions about it? Here is one of his stretching routines:

2. Sparkiran

Sparkiran New Member

Good way to strain your muscles honestly.

3. onacuphole

onacuphole New Member

Ballistic stretch is bad for your body, there's lots of research on this

4. morgan_226

morgan_226 New Member

Did ballistic stretching on my hamstrings for a year or so, never was injured. Pretty much maxed out my hamstrings in the process. Just personal experience

5. burko81

burko81 New Member

They are obviously more risky, and should only be done when fully warmed up.... But the same could be said for plyometrics if we're being honest.

6. rumata_xyz

rumata_xyz New Member

Hey,

ballistic stretching has anecdotally a pretty bad rep (as can be observed in this thread :)). I have used it a fair bit, most systematically following Emmet's head to toe protocol earlier in the year for 6 weeks. Here's Emmet's [overview video]() on ballistic stretching.

From my own experience I agree with all he says there, but would add that IMO one should have a fair bit of experience with other stretching modalities (static, contract/relax, loaded) before dabbling with ballistic. Basically to apply ballistic stretching safely you need to know where your end-range *is*, and how it feels like to go into and (slightly) beyond your current limits.

Cheers,

Michael