Why am I not progressing? Too much/too little tension?

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by yonbot, Jul 12, 2018.

1. yonbot

yonbot New Member

I've been stretching for about half a year now on and off (with periods of couple months every day), with limited progress. Lately I've been trying to think critically about why my progress has been so slow, and I'm thinking that I either stretch too strongly, not strongly enough, or I'm just not consistent enough.

1. Any advice on finding the right tension level?
    I feel like when I don't feel the stretch strongly, I don't get very far. But then when I stretch to the point of very slight pain, I think it slows down my progress as well as I sometimes get leg pains the next day (usually hamstrings). I assume the muscle tenses up more than relaxes in that case.

2. My pancake is woeful - specifically, my lumbar flexibility. I just can't lean forward with my back straight.. I hold onto a sturdy prop for dear life to bring my back forward.
    Any stretches that target this area specifically?

2. mayuru

mayuru New Member

Try some PAILS and RAILS. Look that up and find some you like. That method is set up to attempt to retain the new lengthening. There are others as well.

3. Raidicus

Raidicus New Member

1. Fewer positions, but more time spent in that position. Focus on areas every month, rather than trying to find a routine where you do everything every day. Your focus may be spread too thin.

2. Are you doing isometric and dynamic stretches? They are important components of a stretching routine.

3. If you are feeling pain, you probably overstretched something which (you deduced correctly) is hindering your progress. That's because stretching can cause micro-tears almost like working out. If you feel DOMS, you should rest a day which allows your body to heal. Is it bad to miss a day of stretching? Yes. Will it hinder your progress? Yes. That's why you don't want to overstretch.

4. For trunk flexibility consider adding in dynamic trunk excercises, as well as more focus on your hamstrings. It's hard to say what is holding back your pancake but typically the biggest issue is tight hammies (especially in office workers who sit all day). Again, look into isometric hamstring stretches.