Years of neglect. [wall of text]

Discussion in 'UK Cheerleading Training' started by qualitybloodflow, Sep 21, 2017 at 4:44 PM.

1. qualitybloodflow

qualitybloodflow New Member

Over the years I went from an active 5’ 10’’ 195 lbs, 32 inch waist, 48 inch chest to a sedentary 5’ 8’’ 285lbs, 42 inch waist, 52 inch chest. I have major posture issues from sitting all the time and my poor habits have begun to make me worry about my future health. It scares me that at the age of 24, I am losing mobility. I used to take the train to Chinatown and walk to Central park easily and now I struggle walking uphill a few streets from the train station to my university.

I have anterior pelvic tilt from sitting all day in a poor position, neglecting to strengthen my core and glutes, stretching my legs, hip flexors and I have noticed that when walking my upper body looks to be more forward than my lower half.

Forward head posture due to my head always wanting to be as close to the screen as possible has lead me to neck sprains/aches, tightening of the traps and what I believe is one of the leading causes of my pain in my upper right scapular area. Also I believe that due to keeping my keyboard more on the left side instead of centering it, forces my right arm to hyper extend more often while typing. After sleeping on my side and waking up with neck pain one morning, I have never slept on my side since. I now always sleep on my back, with a pillow under my head/neck and a pillow under my knees.

My poor eating habits has lead to me developing a bigger gut and it feels that with my weak core, it is beginning to pull my spine forward and thus hyperextending my lower back muscles. I will address my eating habits by stop eating taking out / preserved food and instead I will cook food once every 2 days and just reheat the food. I will be eating 3200 calories, with 205g protein, 93g fat, 385g carbs. I should lower the calories but I want to transform my body over the next few years rather than focusing on losing weight as fast as possible. This is to reduce loose skin.

I intend on having oatmeal, bananas, oranges, apples, beans, tons of eggs, steak, salmon, sea bass and other sources of fish, almonds, avocado and a serious abundant amount of vegetables. I love to boil my vegetables and just eat it with a little homemade chili sauce on the side. Aside from a daily amount of oatmeal, and a serving of rice or pasta/noodles (with low sodium) I intend on having the rest of my carbohydrates from vegetables. This is because I feel great when I eat vegetables and it will help restore balance of helpful bacteria in my gut from all the years of eating poorly. Right now even with my bad eating habits, I drink at least 6 liters of water daily.

I learned after attempting to do resistance exercises with weights in a gym that I can not complete a full workout without ending up in more pain that I was in before. So I looked to bodyweightfitness and after experiencing that I could not complete 1 pushup in most of the beginner variations, I have to address my posture imbalances first.

Plan: To address anterior pelvic tilt, I will do bodyweight glute bridges, proper crunches, planks. I will stretch my calves, quads and glutes with a lacrosse ball / foam roller. Strengthen hamstrings

To address my forward head posture and rounded shoulders: I will be strengthening the front next muscles and stretch out my back neck muscles. I will also stretch out the pecs with a lacrosse ball and intend to strengthen them by doing dumbbell presses with very low weight so that they can get used to proper movement. In contrast, I will be doing tons of horizontal rowing(one of the only exercises that I feel 0 pain in the gym). Also I need to strengthen my serratus anterior/ rhomboid muscles as well.

I will also be doing shoulder dumbbell exercises where I will not be progressively overloading but instead completing the exercises with very low weight to re-awaken these muscles as I feel my shoulders are the most atrophied muscle in my body. I will also be doing molding mobility twice a week.

TLDR; Every week, I will be strengthening my weak body parts, stretching my tight body parts and do molding mobility 2x a week. Practicing making food for myself will let me learn to cook better. Thank for you listening to me vent, I will be fighting to be a better me. Health is an essential part in having a good quality of life.

2. vegetableplanet

vegetableplanet New Member

That all sounds really awesome and you will be so thankful in the future that you started taking care of your body while you're still young!

Since you're planning on eating a lot of vegetables, and it doesn't look like you'll be eating much dairy, /r/plantbaseddiet might be a good source to find some recipe ideas.

Also, taking before/after pictures is a great way to help see how far you've come.

Good luck!

3. yoloimgay

yoloimgay New Member

woah 48 on 32 is a huge drop

4. n3tm0nk3y

n3tm0nk3y New Member

The best way to reduce loose skin might be fasting per Doctor Jason Fung. Check it out.

I have had incredible success with a low carbohydrate diet. Regardless of how you do it stay away from concentrated sugar, it ruins everything.

I jumped into bodyweight fitness with most of your posture problems and got injury after injury. Don't work through pain. I'm not telling you not to put in work now while fixing your other problems, but don't create more problems by working through pain and injuring yourself.

You are young and not too badly overweight. Plenty of people are digging their way out of much deeper holes. Stay optimistic and stick with it.

5. oxyi

oxyi New Member

Damn. You sounded like me. In term of posture and etc but my waist is getting. Currently at 36 and 200lb. I have the same problem of my head tilting forward toward the screen. Could you link me the workout you are going to do, I think it's time for me to make some changes too!

6. agumonkey

agumonkey New Member

Hi,

I was in deep and dire situation few years ago. I'm an ex runner, but 5 years go I couldn't complete a single push up either, too many pain points everywhere. It's not a happy thought but anyway, unless you have a really grave medical condition, relax, it's all muscles and you will regain them, no doubt about it.

It took me maybe a month of knee-push-ups before I felt solid enough to endure a normal pushup. I gradually reached sets of 30 and my whole upper body felt better (arm, shoulder, back).

After that I had a bad health issue. I lost muscle mass a lot, heart problems too. 3 years without any effort, and since the last 2 months I was able to bike and do push ups.

You're motivated, after your test results, just cut the crap food and allocate 30 min every day. In two months you'll be set into a routine and you'll see regular progress.

Good luck.

7. bikey420

bikey420 New Member

6 liters of water daily sounds like a lot mate, you know water is heavy right? :p

im down to 2L ~ per day if i sweat a lot but generally only drink water if im thirsty. Lost 9kg since May :D

no need to overdo it with the water and also if u want to try increasing the helpful bacteria, you should look into making kefir/kombucha for yourself. I've found it to be quite helpful

lastly: best of luck to you on your quest! Its gonna be hard but stay strong!

8. magic_beans_talk_

magic_beans_talk_ New Member

You are only 24 years old!!!

YOU ARE YOUNG. You are SO YOUNG. You have TIME to change. And it sounds like you really want to.

Good luck on your journey!

A good first step would be get out of the subway a few stops earlier and walk to school.